- Recycling – Please note the Vale Wildlife Hospital at Beckford would welcome your old newspapers and stamps. These can either be taken to the hospital (open all the time) or dropped at their shop in the High Street.
- To reduce the amount of plastic going to landfill save your clean paper bags to go shopping with you and say no to plastic bags. Some shops do provide brown bags but not all.
- To avoid plastic why not purchase milk etc, from your local milkman who reuses glass bottles.
- Please pass medication blister packs to Jean Davies – she has a contact in her village.
- Empty toothpaste packaging and tubes, and old toothbrushes along with corks can be left in containers located at the Town Hall or placed in a paper envelope and posted through the letterbox if closed.
- Used Postage Stamps We still continue to collect ‘used’ postage stamps which are recycled for charity. You can put them into the box in the foyer and I will collect them. Please leave at least inch, 25mm, or more, of paper around the stamp, any old unused stamps are welcomed as well. Thank you Patricia.
- Use Eco Friendly Toilet Paper A lot of trees are cut down in order to make toilet paper rolls. It requires at least 17 trees and 90 to 92 litres of water for a tonne of paper rolls. As the average person uses 100 rolls in a year, using regular toilet paper is not a sustainable habit. Consumers could use eco friendly toilet paper made out of bamboo. As bamboo grows 39 inches within a 24 hour period, toilet paper made out of bamboo is a much more sustainable option compared to regular toilet paper.
- Keep your plastic bags, bread bags etc and recycle at the supermarket bins.
- Avoid sending any plastic packaging to the tip via your bin by returning it to local supermarkets where they have receptacles for it.
- Flatten your cardboard boxes and squash your plastic bottles before putting in the recycling bin.
- Recycle any brand of razor or razor blades for free via the Gillette website. Each household can request 4 envelopes per year, and you can send a maximum of 16 razors and/or razor blades in each envelope. Order your recycling envelope though the GILLETTE® WEBSITE.
- Just a reminder we are asked to observe the function of the various wheelie bins:
* Green- Anything that cannot be recylced and will be sent to landfill.* Brown- Strictly garden waste.
* Blue- Recyclable materials. It is important to adhere to this format. If any wrong items are put into a bin it will not be emptied.
- Consider using reusable containers for water and hot drinks rather than one use plastic. Be kind to the environment.
- Make use of a Repair Café for any broken items rather than buying new – free repairs for a donation. (One at the Baptist Church in Tewkesbury).